Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LI

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I knew something was up when I emailed Roland about paddling tonight. My suspicions were confirmed when I arrived and I saw he was hiding a different kayak in the grass by the launch area. Over the weekend, he went off to Bay St. Louis and got himself a slick little racing shell.

We put in at 4:00 PM under a blazing sun and 95 degrees. The water was still pretty high, but had been falling since morning. As we started out eastward towards the restaurants, Roland started to immediately pull away, and I knew we starting a new era of my now following substantially behind him from now on.

Unfortunately, my Forerunner was out of battery juice, so I had to turn it off and therefore I did not get any times this afternoon. What I did know was that I paddled as hard as I could to try and keep Roland in sight as we turned around and headed back towards the Causeway and the bridges. He pulled in to the turnaround in probably about three minutes ahead of me.

On the return, I kicked it up a notch and finished the last leg in only a few seconds behind, but with the new boat, I was clearly at a disadvantage. It will make for some good tough workouts to see how well I can keep up. As we turned back in to the launch, our same gator friend was there to watch us cruise in. Also, Danny Hart arrived to explore Whiskey Ditch as we loaded up and headed out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home