Kayak Canoe Alabama

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LVIX

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Although not my normal paddling night, I arrived at 5:00 PM, in order to be done by 6:00 to meet someone bringing a boat to test ride. It was overcast, so the temperature was a little lower at 82 degrees, with a little southerly breeze, low water level and still falling. I had very similar conditions to last night, confirmed by my times.

I made the the first turn in 6:45, and back past the startline in 15:16. The bridge turn split was 32:43, with a final time of 49:15.

When I arrived back at the parking lot, Earle McAuley was just pulling in with a 2001 Burton Molokai surf ski, 19' by 18" and 29 pounds. I gingerly sat in it with my feet hanging off to each side acting as outriggers and started to slowly paddle out into the pass. Earle paddled my Glider alongside to assist when I flipped over. I did not make it very far before tipping over the first time. Since I did not have to bail the ski out, it was a fairly quick process to get back on, using the kayak to steady me. As we paddled down past the restaurants, I gained a little confidence and was able to go about one mile and only falling out three times.

The surf ski was definately a fast boat, gliding effortlessly through the water. The only problem was it did not quite fit me. The foot peddles were just too far away, as they were designed for someone probably 6'-6" tall or more. Once we got back, I decided to take it home and try it out again, to see if there was any way to modify it for my height. I will just have to wait and see tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home