Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Causeway to Mobile River Workout IV

Sunday, August 29, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I really looked forward to paddling this course with the new kayak to see if I could continue the approximate 10% time improvement over my old kayak. I started at 6:35 AM with a temperature of 82 degrees, overcast sky, a breeze coming out of the north, and a rising tide.

I began somewhat conservatively, heading west between the Interstate bridges and then turning north into Delvan Bay. The wind in my face turned out to be brisk, as it stirred up a pretty good chop the whole way up. There were quite a few osprey out either standing guard in the dead trees along the west shore or out fishing. I made it to my first checkpoint at the Pontoon Saloon in 1:01, which was not particularly fast, as it was only a few minutes faster than what I would have paddled in the old kayak. Spanish River was protected and the water was flat, so I picked up some time and made the turn into Mobile River at the high electrical towers in 1:17:10. When I got there, a long barge loaded with coal was just passing and heading upriver.

Although the tide was rising, not giving me a good downriver current, I decided to pick up the pace even more down Mobile River. I made it to the highrise bridge in 1:45:45 and stopped for a short rest and drink. As I started out again, there was another barge backing out from the west bank and turning downriver. I caught up to it and slowly creeped up alongside and ever so slowly moved ahead. It was a good mental motivator to try and pull ahead of the barge as I passed along through downtown Mobile. I stopped at the Alabama Shipyards just downstream from the Cruise Terminal for a drink and in a time of 2:21.

The sun came out and the temperature rose quickly, so I decided to hit the last section hard and get off the water as soon as possible. I made it around the turn east out into Mobile Bay and headed back north toward the Causeway Bridge. The wind had slowed somewhat and the chop was not as big. With a following current I was able to make it to the bridge in 2:49:50 and knew I had an outside chance to get close to breaking 3 hours. I made it to the Interstate Bridges in about 5 minutes and sprinted the rest of the way, making it back to the Exxon in a total time of 2:59:31.

The finish time was very satisfying, as with less than perfect conditions, I was able to paddle with an overall pace improvement of more than one mile per hour and breaking the 3 hour barrier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home