Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XXIV

Saturday, November 13, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

After almost a month away, I ventured back to my old workout course on what looked like would be a calm, cool morning. When I arrived at the old Riverdoc's parking lot, it was indeed cool at 57 degrees, overcast with a low and still falling tide. However, there was a stiff breeze coming out of the northwest, which almost convinced me to find a more protected spot. But, I thought what the hay, and unloaded my boat. As I headed east on Pass Picada, I was protected from the wind and with a following current, made good time to Apalachee in 6:39. I turned and passed the parking lot in 15:27 and started to hit the wind.

The chop came in at an angle, making it tough to get into a rhythm or try to surf. There were no fishermen out to heckle me, just the passing traffic looking over to see the old fool bobbing out in the bay. I made it to the turnaround in 34:51, which was pretty slow, but understandable under the conditions. I noticed a tour bus parked in the lot at the public boat ramp, with all passengers standing around outside in their overcoats. I eased over nearby to see what was going on, but no one came over, so I don't know if they had a breakdown or what they were doing.

I paddled slowly back to my turnaround and started my watch, as I picked up the pace for the return. It was just as hard heading back, although the wind was partially to my back and for the last stretch from the drainage pipes, I also had the current reversed and following. I made it back to the lot for a total time of 52:02, which was decent considering the wind and chop. There was a father with three kids pulling in to the lot to try their luck fishing. I could not think of a much worse day for them, with the cool temps, wind in their face and a very low tide. I doubt they stayed long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home