Kayak Canoe Alabama

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Whiskey Ditch

Whiskey Ditch
Wednesday, October 13, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil


It was such a beautiful afternoon, I couldn't stay off of the water any longer after the race last weekend. So, I went to check out Whiskey Ditch to see if we would lead a paddle there this Saturday. I arrived at 5:00 PM and found a brisk wind coming out of the southwest with a high tide just starting to fall and a temperature of 82 degrees.

The paddle down Pass Picada was very quick as I surfed the rollers pushing east and made it to the Apalachee in 6:20. I turned north and got out of the wind heading up to the entrance of Whiskey Ditch. The fall flowers were peaking which will be great for the Saturday paddle. This was the first time I tried to paddle my Seda Glider into Whiskey Ditch, which made the trip interesting. With the added length, I found it was not very maneuverable, which cut down my speed. I made it back in to the lake in 28:30 and only stopped for a quick drink before heading back out.

By the time I came back out of the ditch and headed back down Apalachee, the wind had died down somewhat. This made the trip back west on Pass Picada a little easier, as I paddled hard the last mile. My overall time for the trip was 55:29. The best thing was I did not have any aches or pains left over following the Phatwater race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home