Kayak Canoe Alabama

Monday, December 13, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XXV

Sunday, December 12, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

It was an absolutely glorious morning with a 42 degree temperature, no wind, clear skies and falling tide at 8:00 AM. With a low water level, due to northerly winds the past couple of days, and approaching low tide, there were dozens of wading birds along the banks. I made my first split in 7:28 at the Apalachee River turnaround, and back past the parking lot in 15:30. On the way back, between Drifter's and the lot, there was a photographer with tripod and telephoto lenses shooting north across Pass Picada, to where many of the birds were picking around in the exposed mud flats.

I had to make sure I stayed in the channel heading west, in order to stay out of the shallows. As it was, I knew I was in pretty shallow water, as the water seemed heavier to paddle in. There were several early morning fishermen along the Causeway, as I passed by. They just looked up and shook their heads, as the old man in the kayak paddled furiously past. I arrived at the turnaround, in a split of 32:38, where the water seemed to be moving faster for some reason. After a drink, I turned and got right back into my race pace on the return. As I approached the parking lot, I noticed another photographer set up there, also shooting north across the pass, with very large telephoto lenses. After packing up the the kayak, I stopped to talk with him for a moment, but didn't get around to asking about who he was working for, if not an amateur. It is great weather like this, that I think about, during those hot and humid summer workouts. My final time was a respectable 51:47.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home