Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XXVIII

Thursday, May 5, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Spring is great in Lower Alabama! I put in at around 5:00 PM under clear skies and 82 degrees with a northwesterly breeze and falling tide. The water level was still very low due to continued north winds. The current was flowing as it was about halfway between high and low tide. As I started out heading east, I had the wind to my back and the benefit of a following current. Tonight, there were quite a few people fishing along Pass Picada, as well as people watching from Blue Gill's deck. I made it to the Apalachee River turnaround in 6:50, and back past the parking lot in 15:50.

There were more fishermen along the Causeway, as I paddled past the drainage culvert and on to the Interstate bridges. I made the turnaround in 34:10 and stopped for a quick drink. The breeze did not kick up as high waves as on Tuesday, so I was able to maintain a pretty good stroke rhythm. My final time back to the parking lot was similar though, finishing in 50:45.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home