Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XXXIII

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I started out somewhat reluctant to even venture outside today with an afternoon high temperature of 98 degrees. When I arrived at Riverdocs at 5:15 PM it was still 96 degrees with a slight westerly breeze, fairly full pool and a falling tide.

I warmed up quickly even though I had almost downhill water conditions to start out. I was able to track straight down the middle of Pass Picada with the falling tide and breeze to my back, arriving at the Apalachee River turnaround in 6:35.

Obviously, on the return I had to work much harder and passed the parking lot in 16:07 on the way to the Causeway. There was nothing much out of the ordinary the rest of the way down to the Interstate bridges turnaround, which I made in 35:03. I thought the slow time was due mainly to the heat, but I tried to convince myself I could still salvage a decent time since the water conditions were still good.

So, I pushed hard on the return to see if the west breeze might help bring me in alot quicker. Despite the heat, I was able to finish in 51:25, which I was happy with under the extreme conditions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home