Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LX

Thursday, August 18, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This afternoon, I brought both my kayak and the borrowed surf ski, so Roland could get a look at it and give me his opinion about buying it and trying to modify it to fit me. When he saw me sit in it on dry land, he said, "No way", so that was enough for me. Roland wanted to give it a go, and ended up paddling the ski down to Blue Gill's and back.

We started out at 5:09 PM under a still blazing sun, 90 degrees, a southerly breeze, low water level and falling tide. I pushed it hard down to the first turn6:46, while Roland paddled the surf ski easily alongside. On the way back, I tucked in along the south shore and was able to stay out of some of the current, passing the startline in 15:17. By the time I got there, Roland was just getting into his K-1 and we continued on westward. The breeze stirred up a light chop which bothered me ever so slightly, but enough to slow me down to 33:18 at the bridge turn.

We turned and fought the current back past the Causeway culvert, where it turned and we cruised in to the finish with a 6.8 mph pace. With the breeze as our excuse, our total time was 50:09 at a 6.0 mph overall pace. I sure wish the surf ski would have fit me, as it would have been a great challenge to get proficient enough to get it up to maximum speed, which would definately be alot faster than my kayak.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home