Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway LXXII

Thursday, October 6, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I wanted to get in one last paddle workout before Saturday, although the conditions were not ideal. At 5:00 PM, the there was a very stiff 20 mph north wind which whipped up a pretty good chop out in the open bay. The temperature was about 80 degrees under cloudy skies over a low water level. It was difficult even getting my kayak off of the roof as I wondered why I was even out there.

As I took off down Pass Picada, there were no boats, birds or even gators out in the unforgiving conditions. The tide was supposed to be rising, but the north wind was pushing water out of the bay, so it was difficult to tell if there was really any tide movement or not. I could not get into any kind of stroke rhythm and my split times were not particularly good. When I passed the Causeway, there were no fishermen out and the passing traffic must have wondered what kind of fool would be out in the bay bobbing around like a cork.

It was a little quieter at the bridge turnaround where I hid out along the shore in the reeds. But, I eventually turned and tried to make it back home as quickly as possible to just get off the water. My overall time was a pitifully slow 56:00. To put a positive spin on it, I rationalized that since it was not hot and the water was slow, I did get overheated or try to expend too much energy just 36 hours before racetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home