Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Bay Minette Creek 6 mi.

Saturday, November 12, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Close to perfect conditions set the stage for a fast paddle. I drove to the north end of Bay Minette Creek and put in at the Bromley Bridge at 7:15 AM. The temperature was 50 degrees with a clear sky, no wind and no current. As I started down the narrow creek, crowded in on both sides by mountain laurel, there was a light misty fog starting to lift over the glass-like water.

Even with the sharp s-turns in the first half mile, I could tell this was going to be a fast paddle. I seemed to hit the turns well, staying away from the shallows and maintaining focus on form. No one was out this morning, not even the dogs to greet me. So, I concentrated on form, while glancing at my watch as I hit each half mile. I made the three mile turnaround in 28:35 for a 6.3 mph pace, which was well ahead of my plan.

I wanted to maintain the same pace on the return in the first two miles, knowing that the turns in the last mile would be a little slower. As long as I could stay ahead of 10:00 per mile, I would beat my goal. I was able to do it by paddling the return leg in 29:18 for a total of 57:53 for the six miles at a speed of 6.2 mph (10Kmph), a new PR (woohoo!). This was a very satisfying morning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home