Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XIII

Saturday, September 4, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This morning, I had the potential for up to three training partners, who had expressed interest in paddling with me. But, when it became crunch time, no one else showed up. I arrived at Riverdoc's before sunrise and put in at 6:05 AM. The temperature was 78 degrees, humid, wind out of the NE and a falling tide. I aimed for the north side of Pass Picada, but could not get out of the breeze, so I just went with the current and paddled right down the center. When I arrived at Appalachee, my watch read 7:15, and at about 6:20 AM, the sun had not peaked over Spanish Fort yet.

I turned and used the following breeze to pass Riverdoc's in 15:40 and headed off towards the Causeway. There were a couple of fishing boats coming east, so I got off towards the bank to give them a little room. By the time I got to the Causeway, the sun had come up and it was a truly glorious sunrise. I made it to the turnaround in 33:20, and after a short break, headed back into the wind and against the current. The wind kicked up, creating a little chop, so I never really got into a good stroke rhythm. But, I wanted to finish off the paddle with a fast turnover, so I just went for it anyway. I made it back to Riverdoc's in 51:01. I checked around, but my good gator buddy must have been out late last night, as he was still sleeping in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home