Kayak Canoe Alabama

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XXII

Wednesday, October 6, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

With the hay already in the barn, tonight was my last paddle workout before the race on Saturday. I put in at 5:40 PM at my usual spot with cloudy skies, 82 degrees and a good breeze coming out of the east. The tide was low and almost at the bottom.

I took off eastward into the wind, past the restaurants and reached the Apalachee in 7:51. As I turned, it was obvious the wind was going to help out on the way back. I passed the parking lot in 15:03 and continued on towards the Causeway and then to the Interstate bridges. The wind-induced wave action was pretty much straight ahead, so I had a pretty good push the whole way, making it to the turnaround in 32:00.

After a drink break, I turned and headed straight into the wind and waves all the way back, making it to the finish in 50:51. When I arrived, there was a van in the lot and two men sitting behind it, cooking their dinner on a campstove. They were passing through on their way to Oklahoma. We talked for awhile about the area and hurricane, etc. while I packed up.

Well, if I am not ready now, I never will be. So, my next post should give the account of the race and hopefully I will finish strong and safe and not embarrass the family name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home