Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XVII

Tuesday, September 21, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Following last week's kayaking hiatus due to Ivan, it was great to get back out on the water tonight. At 5:45 PM, the temperature was a warm 88 degrees with a breeze coming out of the northeast and basically no current, as the low tide was approaching at 6:15.

The put-in at the old Riverdoc's was changed somewhat by Ivan, as a good part of the sand and gravel on the lot had washed over into Pass Picada. The old concrete ramp was covered with about 12" of the sand with the ramp. As usual, I started out heading east into the wind, but with no current, made it to the Apalachee River in 7:39. All of the restaurants and bars were open once again and did not appear to have sustained much damage.

I turned around and headed west with the following breeze and as I passed Riverdoc's my split time was 15:07. The wave action due to the breeze kept me out of an optimum speed rhythm, but I managed to work through it, making it to the turnaround in 32:14.

By this time, the sun was setting and provided a glorious view of reds and pinks over downtown Mobile and off of the few puffy clouds hanging around. This spurred me on to kick it in on the way back and with a final sprint, made it back to the finish in 50:53. The temperature was 82 as I loaded up and said my goodbyes to my gator buddy who waited patiently for me to return after being away for the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home