Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 X

Sunday, February 27, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

After returning in the rain from the Econfina camping trip this morning, it was nice to see the rain finally stop this afternoon. I decided to give the bay a try before it started to rain again, arriving at the old Riverdoc's parking lot at 3:30 PM. It was heavily overcast, 58 degrees with a stiff breeze coming in from the northwest. The tide was high and still rising with a strong current running.

I started east with the breeze to my back, but into the current, which slowed me down to 10:24 when I reached the Apalachee. As I passed the parking lot on the return, my time was 16:45, which indicated the water was really flowing strongly.

There was no one out anywhere either fishing or boating as I approached the causeway, where the water was really churning around in front of the drainage culverts. I made it past OK and on to the turnaround in 33:15.

After a short drink, I turned around and stayed close to the south bank. The was increasing as I made the turn at the causeway. I was able to use the wind at my back to an advantage, even into the rising current, making it to the parking lot in 51:45.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home