Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 V

Sunday, January 30, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

After several days of dreary weather in Las Vegas, it felt great to be back in sunny LA, so naturally, the first thing to do after getting off the plane, was head for the water. I arrived at the Riverdoc's parking lot at 12:30 PM, under sunny skies, 60 degrees, a rising tide and about a 10 mph northerly breeze. There were three fishing boat trailers already in the lot along with a couple of dead ducks along the side and a rotting wild hog skin laying on the boat ramp.

I put in and took off towards the Sunday brunch crowd in the restaurants, trying to stay out of wind. I arrived at the Apalachee turnaround in an unremarkable time of 8:29, albeit against the rising current. On the return, I passed the parking lot in 16:10 on the way to the Causeway. Although the wind drew me towards the north, the chop wasn't near as bad as I feared. The waves got a little more difficult to deal with the rest of the way along the base of Chacaloochee Bay until I was able to get between the Interstate bridges, where the supports break up the waves somewhat. I made the turnaround in 35:00, which was also unimpressive.

After a short break, I turned and used the following current and waves coming in partially from the rear left side and tried to make up some time. I was able to cut the time down to 18:00 for the last leg and made the finish in a total of 53:01. It felt great to finally be back in a boat, after the week out of town and off the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home