Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XI

Sunday, March 13, 2005 mailto:brint.adams@us.army.mil

I arrived at the Riverdocs parking lot at 8:00 AM, worrying about the lingering wind from Saturday. It was still breezy as I crossed the Causeway, but upon arrival, I found the water surprisingly calm. The tide was low and rising, with partly cloudy skies, 68 degrees and a southwesterly breeze.

I started out heading east towards the restaurants into the current, scaring up a few herons and egrets. I made the turn at the Apalachee in 8:11. It was delightfully calm and quiet with barely a ripple on Pass Picada. As I passed the parking lot on the return, I noticed my watch read 15:45, which was faster than the past several workouts.

This picked up my spirits a little as I headed for the Causeway and the restricting culverts. As the rising current comes north, not as much water can come through the culverts from Mobile Bay under the Causeway into Chacaloochee Bay, as comes up the Apalachee to the east and under the bridges near the USS Alabama on the west. So, more rising water comes in from both the east and west, along the north side of the Causeway, converging at the culvert and sometimes creating strange turbulence. Today, it wasn’t too bad, so I made it past the culvert with little slowdown, continuing to the Interstate bridges and to the turnaround in 32:25.

Although a beautiful morning, the fishing boats were already all out, so I did not encounter any the whole trip. This also helped as I was able to maintain a fast pace and steady rhythm the whole way. I turned around after a short drink break and hit it hard on the return. As I came into towards the parking lot, a lone fisherman was getting ready to try his luck. I came in with a very satisfying time of 51:20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home