Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XVIII

Sunday, April 3, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

What a difference a day makes. I arrived at the Riverdocs parking lot at 7:00 AM with clear skies, 48 degrees, not a breath of wind, low humidity with a very low tide just starting to rise. The water was clear and like glass as I enthusiastically started to paddle east towards Apalachee River. Surprisingly, there were not any fishing boats out, so I had the whole bay to myself.

I started out hard, making the turn in 7:57 against the rising tide and back past the parking lot in 15:50. With the water level very low, I could not cut any corners at the risk of getting into the muddy shallows heading into the Causeway. The water and air were very calm, allowing me to hit a fast, steady rhythm. I cut under the Interstate bridges and sprinted to the turnaround in 31:34.

After a short water break, I pushed hard on the return, and made it back to the finish in a good time of 50:24. This was more than a five minute improvement over yesterday in the wind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home