Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XIV

Sunday, March 20, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

After returning from the overnight leisurely paddle to the Jug Lake platform, I decided to go back out for a workout this afternoon at 3:30 PM. The temperature was 64 degrees with an easterly breeze, overcast and a light rain coming down. The water level was pretty high, but the tide was only in mid cycle, so the current was moving fairly quickly.

I started out from Riverdocs heading into the breeze and rising current. There was a decent crowd at Blue Gill's, so a few kids were out on the pier watching and waving as I passed by. I made the turn at the Apalachee River in 9:22 and back by the parking lot in 15:45. As I made it out into open water in Chacaloochee Bay, the water started to kick up a little chop and was swirling around in front of the Causeway culvert.

The rain started to come down a little harder as I approached the Interstate bridges. I tried to stay under the westbound bridge for awhile to stay out of the rain, but the chop was pushing me some and it was difficult to stay between the pilings. So, I went back out between the bridges, where I could just concentrate on paddling. I made the turnaround in 32:47.

After hiding under the bridge for a minute to get a drink, I started my return back out in the rain. There was really nothing to see in the rain, so I just pushed hard to get back, get out and get dry. I was glad to see it was worth getting out in the weather, as I finished in a decent time of 51:36.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home