Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LXI

Sunday, August 21, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Following a tough long workout in the heat yesterday morning, I wanted to see how I would recover a day later. I put in at Riverdocs at 6:00 AM under a full moon, but a muggy 80 degrees, a slight northwesterly breeze and a rising tide. All of my gator pals were still asleep, with only one fishing boat cruising by.

My first leg to the Apalachee was 8:33 with the return with the current in 7:04. Once on the bay, the northwesterly breeze stirred up a little chop as it was coming in against the rising tide. After passing the Causeway culvert, the combination of breeze and into the reversed tide made it slow going as my pace dropped to 5.4 mph. I made the bridge turn in 32:50 and headed back towards the just rising orange orb off in the eastern sky.

My overall time of 51:33 over the five mile course was at a 5.8 mph pace, which considering it was a recovery day, was just about right. Still no gators out yet, as I pulled into the launch area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home