Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LXVI

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

As I drove along the Causeway to my usual launch area, I noticed renovation work is proceeding nicely at both Trader's and Ed's Seafood. They now have new stairways leading up to their dining areas. I would guess it will not be long and they will be open once again.

While I was carrying my kayak down to the low water level, about 50 hermit crabs scurried away backwards in their defensive positions. I reached down for one, who stuck his large claw out to try and grab my finger. When I looked up, I caught a glimpse of the back of a large gar, probably four feet long, as it surfaced about 15 meters out in front of me in Pass Picada.

I put in at around 6:00 PM as the sun was still up, but dropping rapidly, sky clear, 85 degrees and a southwesterly breeze. The water was very low with the tide just starting to rise again. As I passed the empty restaurants, it was evident Bluegills was starting to clean out the gutted shell in preparation of a complete interior buildout. I reached the Apalachee turnaround in 7:02, turned and headed back into the setting sun, passing the parking lot in 15:33. It was a little slower going into the wind along the Causeway and over some shallow areas, as I fought my way to the bridges turnaround in 33:46.

The return trip was easier and I pushed it hard to the finish in 50:31, just as the sun set below the downtown skyline.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home