Kayak Canoe Alabama

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Bay Minette Creek II

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

A last minute call from Roland and we were off for the cool confines of the upper end of Bay Minette Creek. It was very steamy as we followed in after a rain shower, putting in at 2:15 PM at the Bromley Bridge. The ground was still wet, so it was not easy to see how far the creek rose during the hurricane. After a few turns on the glass-like water, we reached the first and second houses and soon found the creek had risen an amazing 10'-15', to just below the A-frame sitting high above the water. Their low pier decking was long gone as we cruised on by.

The rest of the houses, including the several house boats, were all looking pretty good considering such a high water level. The creek was down pretty close to normal levels, so the upper end was falling and we kept up a +6 mph pace all the way to Buzbee's. As we approached the wind picked up a little and rain began to fall. It was delightful to get some relief from the heat as we approached our 4.7 mile turnaround in 46:32.

We barely took a drink and Roland was off again at a very strong pace. He continued to pull ahead of me, by up to a minute as we approached the s-turns. At that point, all I could see of him was the bubble trail he left behind, as the rain stopped. I pushed as hard as I could against the ever-increasing current and reached the bridge again in 1:36:03, about a minute back. It was a beautiful course and great conditions.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:18 AM, Blogger Manish Batra said…

    Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Thigh Sleeve

    Keep Posting:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home