Kayak Canoe Alabama

Monday, September 06, 2004

Byrne's Lake III

Monday, September 6, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This morning was beautiful with a relatively cool 76 degrees, not very humid, but a stiff 20 mph breeze coming out of the NE. I drove out to the Causeway to see what Blakeley River looked like and when the wind blasted me as I crossed the bridge, I turned around and headed up Hwy. 225 to Byrne's Lake , where I knew it would be somewhat protected.

I put in at 7:30 AM and headed upstream against a falling tide and into the breeze. Most of Byrne's Lake is pretty well protected, but there are a few straight stretches where the wind has a chance to be a factor. I made it out to the Tensaw River in 21:07 and saw what the wind was really up to out in the open. There were white caps rapidly pushing downriver. I turned around and back into the protection of Byrne's, so I wouldn't get blown around.

I started back, trying to see if I could make up some time compared to my last paddle here. But, even with a hard finishing kick, I managed only a total time of 42:43, which was 1:17 slower than last week, blamed partially on the wind. When I got back to the boat ramp, I was met by a couple of fishermen just heading out, who were interested in my story, as I came flying in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home