Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Apalachee River to Causeway XXVIII

Thursday, December 30, 2004 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Wow, what a great week for paddling in Mobile Bay! I put in again today at the old Riverdoc's parking lot at 3:30 PM, with a temperature of 68 degrees, no wind, partly cloudy skies and a low, but rising tide.

Today, it was all about maximum speed and as hard a workout as I could muster, leading into New Year's Eve tomorrow, when we will be in the French Quarter celebrating.

I started out east past the restaurants, making the turn at the Apalachee in 9:23, against a strong rising tide. As I passed the parking lot on the return, my time was 15:48, so I knew I had to continue to hit it hard in the next stretch, with the current pushing me along. There were a couple of fishermen hanging out at the Causeway as I passed, who barely looked up. I continued on to the Interstate bridges, over glass-like water and made the turnaround in 31:55.

After a very short break, I cranked it up again and made it back to the lot in a total time of 51:01, which was a great way to finish out paddling in 2004.

Hopefully, we will be as healthy in 2005, and pick up where we left off, having just a great time in the paradise known as L.A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home