Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XXXV

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

The skies were dark and threatening with rain visibly falling off in the northwest, as I drove up to Riverdocs for an afternoon workout. At 5:15 PM, the wind was light out of the south, very cloudy with 82 degrees, and a low but rising tide.

A couple of fishermen were on the shore, pointing out a gator out about 25 meters. I told them he was my buddy, just here to greet me. I took off heading east into the rising tide and made the turn at the Apalachee in 9:00. As I slowed, I noticed cold water in the bottom of my boat and found out the cap came off of my water bottle and was empty. So, I went over to the house along the south shore at the east end of Pass Picada. The people were gracious enough to refill my bottle, so I was able to continue.

As I started out in the other direction, there were two more gators crossing the pass. It was much easier heading west with the following current, as I passed the parking lot in 15:45. With the water level still low, I made sure I stayed away from the shallows as I headed toward the Causeway and the Interstate bridges. I made the next turn in 31:55, which was evident as I counted strokes and knew I had taken fewer than normal.

After a short break, I started back as fast as I could go, knowing it would be difficult into the breeze and rising tide. I was able to keep my time respectable with a total finish in 50:43.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home