Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XXXVII

Sunday, June 5, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

After thinking I was getting the hang of the new paddle yesterday on a long workout, I wanted to get back out right away on a speed workout and see how much progress I was making. I started out at Riverdocs at 6:30 AM under partly cloudy skies, 78 degrees, a southerly breeze, low water level and a rising tide.

Although I am not up to full speed turnover rate yet, I am able to see a difference in power and needing fewer strokes for the same distance. I made the turn at the Apalachee River in 8:27 and back by the parking lot in 15:36, faster on the return with the following tide. With the low water level, I needed to stay close to the buoys or risk getting into shallow water. I was pleasantly surprised to see my split at the bridge turnaround was 32:30.

So, with my spirit lifted a little, I decided to concentrate on turnover rate, while maintaining form and made it back in 50:36. This is probably where I would have been with my old paddle, so after only three workouts, I think I am at least back to the speed I had before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home