Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 LXXXIV

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This was another beautiful fall late afternoon, as I arrived and put in at Riverdocs at 4:40 PM. The temperature was 72 degrees, clear sky with a southeasterly breeze. The water level was high and still rising as I turned east down Pass Picada. There was not much activity going on, other than a few mullet jumping. I fought the current down to Apalachee River, hitting the turn in 8:21. On the way back, I let the current help me to a split of 15:08, as I pushed on to the Causeway.

There were about a dozen fishermen out enjoying the great afterwork weather. With high water, I concentrated more on technique than worrying about shallow water. The southeast breeze kept the chop down, so the water was relatively flat along Chacaloochee Bay heading over to the Interstate bridges. I made the turnaround in 31:41 as the sun was just setting behind the downtown skyline.

The way back was slightly slower into the current, but I was able to surge ahead as the sunlight faded without losing sight of the buoy markers. With only a faint glow on the horizon, I crossed the finish line in 49:28, quite satisfying at 6.1 mph over the five mile course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home