Kayak Canoe Alabama

Monday, June 06, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XXXVIII

Monday, June 6, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I decided to swap out my normal Tuesday paddle to tonight, with our monthly club meeting early tomorrow night, not allowing me time to get in a workout on the water. With rain off and on all day, I wasn't sure what to expect when I got out there. There wasn't any wind, but the sky was very dark off to the southwest with some lightning activity. I put in at around 5:30 PM with the temperature around 83 degrees, low water level and a falling tide.

As I started out down Pass Picada, I was able to get going into a pretty good rhythm already, now that I am starting to get used to the new paddle. There were a number of people watching from the restaurants, wondering why a fool was out on the water under threatening skies. I made it to the Apalachee turnaround in 6:30 and back past the parking lot in 15:10, so I knew I was at least keeping up with my normal pace.

There were a few hardy fishermen out along the Causeway as I passed by and headed to the Interstate bridges. It was interesting how, even though the wind was nonexistent and the water like glass, there were no birds or gators around at all. I guess they had more sense than I did to stay out of the weather coming in. I made it to the bridge turnaround in 32:41, which was good considering the tide was falling, and I had already done the hard work.

The trip back was quick as I became more comfortable with the stroke and was able to hit an overall time of 49:29. That was faster than most recent workouts, so it must mean the new paddle is the difference, and is starting to pay off in faster times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home