Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Bay Minette Creek 6 mi.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Wow! Another afternoon of near perfect conditions, with no wind or clouds, produced a new PR. I arrived at 4:00 PM to beat the sun before it set, and try to get in a strong six mile paddle. The temperature started out at 50 degrees and when I finished it was 45 degrees.

The level was very low across the bay, with continued north winds helping to push out the water. It would have been difficult to find an area along the Causeway with enough water to even put in, let alone paddle unimpeded for any distance. So, it was back to Bay Minette, which is not a bad thing anyway.

I started out pretty well through the narrow s-turns with a 9:26 mile and added consistent splits of 9:21 and 9:22 to get to the turnaround. On the return, with the temperature dropping, I pushed the pace to hit splits of 9:30, 9:28 and 10:02 for a total time of 57:11 for speed of 6.3 mph. I didn't scare up too much wildlife with only a few wood ducks taking off in front of me as I came around a corner and a kingfisher leading me back upstream. The weather looks good for the next few days, so I will definately be out on the water alot over the holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home