Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Bay Minette Creek 6 mi.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Today was a glorious day to close out a very productive month on the water. While coming home across the bayway, the USS Alabama flags were still as well as Mobile Bay. The water level was pretty low, so rather than come back and fight the shallow water, I decided to try Bay Minette Creek. At 4:30 PM, it was still 68 degrees and the water was like glass. The tide was slowly rising, so at the upper end of the creek, there was very little movement.

I felt pretty good following a rest day after the Wakulla race. So, with the warm sun shining and my spirits lifted high, I took off downriver through the s-turns at a strong pace. The water was so calm and undisturbed, there was still the same dust-like scum on the surface that had probably been accumulating since the night before. My mile splits on the way down were 9:46, 9:35 and 9:23.

I did not see anyone out, either on shore or in their boat, so I had the whole river to myself. It felt great to paddle truly solo, concentrating solely on technique, breathing and mental focus. My splits on the return were 9:22, 8:58 and 9:45 for a six-mile total of 56:52 at 6.3 mph. This was close to my course PR, which has me phsyched for the spring racing season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home