Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 V

Thursday, January 26, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Tonight was even better, with the wind slightly reduced, the tide not as strong and my cold congestion not affecting me as much. I put in a little earlier at 4:15 PM, with a temperature of 60 degrees, low water level, but rising and a 5-10 knot northwesterly breeze. I was feeling pretty good and got off to a good start into the current heading down Pass Picada, reaching the Apalachee turn in 8:33 and back in 6:30, and heading on to the Causeway at 7.2 mph. The water was really roiling around in front of the culverts, so I carefully passed by the Causeway and continued aggressively out into the lower Chacaloochee Bay.

For my three splits heading from east to west, I went 8:21, 9:01 and 11:01, most of the last mile between the Interstate bridges and into the rising current. I stopped briefly at the Tensaw River for a drink, noticing the sunset barely visible at the horizon, below mostly cloudy skies. On the return, I cranked out splits of 8:50, 11:03 and finishing in a total of 59:20 at 6.1 mph.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home