Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 II

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

The skies were very dark and threatening imminent thunderstorms when I pulled into the old Riverdocs parking lot this afternoon. At 4:30 PM, the temperature was 67 degrees and there was a slight southeasterly breeze. The water level was up and still rising rapidly as I pulled out into Pass Picada. I made slow headway eastward into the current at only 4.9 mph and made the Apalachee turn in a slow 9:31. I forgot to click my watch on the return as I passed the parking lot, but at 7.8 mph, it was probably around 5:45 for the same distance.

I kept up a good pace of 6.7 mph along the Causeway and even through the confused water and on along lower Chacaloochee Bay. Once I reached the Interstate bridges, I was heading into the teeth of the rising current again and it slowed me down to 5.8 mph, as I made the Tensaw River turn in 36:31. The three miles straight from Apalachee to Tensaw took exactly 27:00.

The return was pretty much in the dark, so I had to watch carefully for the markers along the Causeway and follow the highway and restaurant lights off in the distance. The first mile took 9:28, but once I got into the reversed tide, it slowed me down to 5.4 mph to the finish. My overall time was 59:24 at 6.1 mph.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home