Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 IV

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

It was good to get back on the familiar course again, although it turned out to be somewhat windy. At least the temperature was 64 degrees, under sunny skies at 4:30 PM, with a strong northwesterly breeze kicking up a little chop. The water level was fairly high and still rising, as I started off down Pass Picada. I tucked in along the north shoreline, where the water was a little calmer, but I was still heading into the current.

The turn at the Apalachee was in 9:00, and back in 6:30 as I headed out into the open waters of Chacaloochee Bay. The water along the Causeway by the culverts was very choppy and confused. Once back in normal bay waters, the chop was regular again, but quartering and not easy to gain much speed in, until I got to the Interstate bridges and out of the wind again. My mile splits from the Apalachee to the Tensaw were 8:29, 9:30 and 11:15, as I got back into the rising tide again from the Tensaw side of the culverts.

The sun was just setting behind the battleship, as I stopped for a drink at the Tensaw turn. On the way back, I was able to take advantage of the current for the first mile, clocking 8:50, before hitting a 10:54 wall, back on the east side of the culvert and finished at 5.3 mph at the end, to come in with a total time of 1:00:28, at 5.9 mph over the 6 mile course. It was not great, but the wind and trying to get rid of a nagging cold were my excuses for the slower time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home