Kayak Canoe Alabama

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Bay Minette Creek 6 mi.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I was greeted by a warm, brisk breeze this morning following an overnight shower. So, I opted for the safety of Bay Minette Creek for an early morning workout. At 6:50 AM, it was overcast and 62 degrees with no wind in the well-protected valley. The water level was up and didn't seem to be moving much in either direction.

I took off, but didn't seem to be able to get going in the first mile, barely able to keep ahead of my 10:00 pace virtual partner "Roland". There was no one out to greet me, not even the dogs when I passed the subdivision. Other than a few fish jumping, the only living thing I saw of note was an osprey. In the third mile out, after the creek widens out some, he swooped down about 50 meters in front of me, picked up a fish and flew off to the top of a nearby cypress. It was absolutely awesome to see him at work, successfully fishing for a fresh breakfast.

My mile splits on the way downstream were 9:48, 9:38 and 9:36. On the return, I was able to get into a little more focused mindset, and against the slight downstream current was able to hit splits of 9:49, 9:59 and 10:19 for a total time of 59:12. The osprey sighting made the trip all the more satisfying, while I got in a great morning workout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home