Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XCII

Saturday, December 24, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This morning was much warmer as the wind switched around and was coming in from the south. When I arrived at Riverdocs, the wind was only about 5 mph, leaving Pass Picada and Chacaloochee Bay almost flat. At 7:45 AM, the temperature was 58 degrees, while the water level was low, but still fine for fast paddling. The tide was barely moving, although still falling a little before soon reaching low tide.

There were a few shotgun blasts off to the north as I took off to the east to Apalachee River. There was not much activity, either wildlife or man-made as I made the turnaround in 7:21 and back past the parking lot in 15:04. Once out in the open water, it was still very flat and I was able to keep a good pace going as I rounded past the culverts and on towards the Interstate bridges. I made the bridge turn in 31:52 and decided to go for it on the way back, as the sky was darkening considerably from the south and rain was coming very soon.

I cruised in along with one of the hunting boats just ahead of the rain. I was pretty pleased with the overall time of 49:02 for the five mile course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home