Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XCIII

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

This afternoon was so warm and beautiful, I could not resist the temptation to take off work a little early and head for the water. At 4:00 PM, the temperature was 71 degrees with a slight southeasterly breeze. The water level was medium with the tide rising.

As I paddled down Pass Picada, it was evident others had the same thoughts. There were several fishermen along the south shore, three boats fishing along the north shore and already a full parking lot at the Oyster House for happy hour. Although I started out strongly, my time of 8:39 (5.4 mph) at the Apalachee turn was indicative of the actively rising tide. The return over the same distance was 6:24 (7.3 mph) which continued past the confused waters at the Causeway culverts and continuing on along Chacaloochee Bay.

My bridge turnaround time was 31:04 and just in time to see the sun setting along the downtown skyline. It is already noticeable the days are getting just a little longer. The last stretch from the Causeway on, was back into the tide and although I pushed as hard as possible, was only able to make 5.3 mph and finished in a good overall time of 49:10. I love this winter weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home