Kayak Canoe Alabama

Monday, December 26, 2005

Bay Minette Creek 6 mi.

Monday, December 26, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

All of our Christmas day company left this morning, so I decided to go for the water on a gorgeous afternoon. After eating way too much turkey, fresh oyster dressing and pumpkin pie I had to deal with a heavy ballast in hopes I might work off a little of the load. The sky was clear, brilliantly blue, with a southerly breeze and 60 degrees.

I decided to go for the calm of Bay Minette and was not disappointed, as there was not a breath of breeze nor a ripple on the water, save for the occasional fish breaking the surface. I didn't feel like I was getting off to an efficient start around the s-turns and only turned in a 9:46 for the first mile. The next two miles to the turnaround were better at 9:14 and 9:29. I passed several fishing boats along the way, who were working the shoreline and not where I might bother them.

On the return, I tried to kick up the pace even more and came back with miles of 9:21, 9:18 and finished up with 9:50 for a total of exactly 57:00. For this I was pleasantly surprised, considering the heavy load I was carrying. It will now be appropriate to push away from the dinner table a little sooner in preparation for the Wakulla race in four weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home