Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Bay Minette Creek 12 mi.

Saturday, January 7, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

A cold front came through last night dropping the temperature below freezing. By 9:00 AM, the temperature rose to 36 degrees under clear sunny skies and only an occasional slight breeze out of the southwest. Roland and I met and put in at the Bromley bridge and started out strongly downstream. It didn't take long before the cold started to affect us; Roland more than I. Roland lost most feeling in his fingers and had difficulty gripping his paddle. But, we continued and as the temperature rose a little, I became more comfortable and pulled ahead.

We were alone on the perfectly still water for most of the paddle, except for a lone great blue heron, who led us around the twists and turns for about a mile in both directions. My mile splits on the way out were 9:52, 9:27, 9:21, 9:36, 9:53 and 10:20. The end of the last mile slowed down as we passed under the Hwy 225 bridge and got out into some shallow water in the basin. Roland was about a minute behind and was still having problems with the cold.

We turned and started back together, at least for a little while, when I decided to take off. My return splits were 9:42, 9:13, 9:19, 9:33, 9:45 and 9:52 for a total of 1:55:59 at 6.2 mph. The whole paddle felt very good to me, as I am just about ready for the Wakulla race in two weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home