Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 XIV

Saturday, February 25, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I got off to a late start this morning at 10:15 AM with thunderstorms threatening in the west. The tide was rising, with low water, south winds of about 10 knots and 65 degrees, when I started. There was nobody crazy enough to be out, except a fishing cormorant and a large flock of coot sitting on the water. I tried to stay along the south side of Pass Picada and out of the wind, but it didn't help much, as I reached the Apalachee in 8:01, but back past the parking lot in 6:45.

I continued out into Chacaloochee Bay in rougher water and very confused churning water along the Causeway in front of the culverts. It was tough to stay out of the shallows on the way to the bridges, which I was grateful to reach. I not only was able to increase speed a little, but try and stay out of the rain starting to fall. My mile splits on the way west were 8:32, 9:07 and 10:23.

On the way down between the bridges, there were a couple of bass boats hiding out from the rain, under the bridges, watching as I sprinted by. On the way back, I was motivated to beat the heavier rain, which I could see was coming quickly. My splits were 9:24 and a horrible 12:26 as I was heading into the quickening wind, rising tide and heavier white-capped chop. I finally hit the finish in 1:00:53 and quickly put my boat on the SUV before the wind kicked up another notch and the skies really opened up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home