Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 IX

Thursday, February 16, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

After a quick few days in the sunny paradise of Scottsdale, AZ, I was glad to get back where there is plenty of water. It was nice enough for a visit, but going on for 120 days without rain and still counting, with no paddling available, I was ready to come home.

Roland and I put in at old Riverdocs at 4:40 PM, with a 10 mph southeasterly breeze, clear skies and 70 degrees. We were just after neap tides, so there was little movement as Roland took off like a shot down Pass Picada. We hit the Apalachee turn in 8:31 against the slightly rising tide and returned by the parking lot in 6:44, with mile splits of 8:45, 9:19 and 9:03.

On the return, Roland took off ahead of me again, and I just tried to hang on. My splits on the return were 10:41, 10:02 with a total six mile time of 58:30 at 6.2 mph. Roland lamented about how he had not trained much since the Wakulla race, but I would never have believed him as he came in a full minute faster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home