Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 XXI

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

The first day of spring and oh what a night! It was actually a very pleasant 75 degrees and sunny, but the 20-25 knot northwest wind stirred up quite a chop. Against my better judgement, I headed for open water along the Causeway and got banged around pretty good.

The water level was high with the tide starting to drop as I pulled out at 5:00 PM from the Riverdocs launch area. I was all alone today, as no one else in their right mind would have been out on the water, all except for a lone Cormorant, who was out bobbing around trying to do a little fishing. The first leg east was fun as I surfed my way down to the Apalachee in 6:56. The return was ugly as I hunkered down and fought my way into the wind, sometimes at no better than 4.5 mph. My splits on the way west were 11:36, 12:00 and 10:50. It was particularly crazy around the Causeway culverts, as I bobbed my way along next to the highway.

The return was not much better as I recorded splits of 10:12, 9:52 and a total of 1:03:23 at 5.7 mph. I was just glad it was over and I got back in one piece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home