Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Bay Minette Creek 6 mi.

Thursday, March 9, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Tonight was a warm 74 degrees with high south winds of 20-25 knots and the threat of thunderstorms. As I crossed the bay, the water level was high with large white caps breaking over the wall along the Causeway. It did not look like much fun out there, so I headed north to my usual comfort zone out of the wind, at the Bromley Bridge over Bay Minette Creek. It was well protected with high water and still rising.

It was a little strange to head downstream into the wind and rising tide. As I rounded one tight turn near the start, the wind even pushed me over behind a downed tree, so I had to back up to get around it. That obviously slowed me down, as my splits downstream were only 10:19, 10:13 and 10:22. I also scared up about six egrets, who were hiding out in a tree on a protected turn.

On the return, with the wind mostly to my back and with the rising tide, I hit 9:01, 9:25 and 9:44 for a total time of 59:06, not my fastest, but good considering the rougher than normal conditions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home