Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 XVIII

Saturday, March 11, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I drug out of bed a little later than I wanted to and did not get to the water until 7:15 AM. The southeast wind was picking up and now between 10-15 knots, while the temperature 74 degrees and rising. The tide was almost at low and still falling, but the water level was up about normal pool, due to the continued south winds and the overnight rain.

The combination of tide and wind meant a little worse chop than normal, as I turned east down Pass Picada. No one was around as I fought my way down to the Apalachee in 7:21. The return was slower going, as I passed the parking lot at 15:30, with westward mile splits of 10:26, 10:07 and 9:11. After crossing under the Interstate bridge, I noticed the large dumpster sitting in the boat launch parking lot along the Causeway. This morning, volunteers were gathering to start with today's Derelict Crab Trap Recovery Program.

On the way back, I had a hard slog at the start, getting away from the Tensaw River, with splits of 10:42, 9:51 and a total finish time of 59:46. It was slower than on calm water, but under the circumstances, I was happy with a sub one hour paddle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home