Kayak Canoe Alabama

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 XXVII

Saturday, April 8, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

I was off the water for almost a week, while working in Orlando, so I was ready to do some paddling anywhere. After working at home all day today, I finally got out to the bay by 6:00 PM, where it was partly cloudy, still 78 degrees with a stiff 20 knot northerly wind. The water level was high and the tide starting to fall, so when I finally got away from the choppy launch area, I tucked in along the north shoreline of Pass Picada to try and escape the wind. The restaurants were full, but no shorebirds were venturing out in the brisk wind.

I was able to paddle in fairly protected water, reaching the Apalachee in 7:04 and back past Riverdocs in 15:30. Once I got out into the open bay, the chop really rocked me around as I hit mile splits of 10:42, 11:03 and 10:29. The return wasn't much better, as I just got soaked on the other side. I tried to work with the chop, but in a number of places, it was coming together from two directions, making it difficult to ride. My splits on the way back were 9:55 and 9:50 with a total time of 1:01:04. Rough conditions were much better than not paddling, as I was glad to get back home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home