Kayak Canoe Alabama

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Apalachee River to Causeway 2005 XCIV

Thursday, December 29, 2005 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Another day of great weather! At 4:00 PM, the temperature was 60 degrees with no clouds and a slight southeasterly breeze. The water level was medium and rising, as I pulled out into Pass Picada. It was a hard slog heading east, as I was only able to make 5.3 mph in 8:51 at the Apalachee turnaround. On the way back past a full Oyster House happy hour crowd, I cruised by in 6:03 at 7.8 mph on the way to the Causeway. There were a few fishermen hanging out around the culverts as I passed through the 'confused waters' and on to the bridges. I had a little slowdown through the south end of the bay and paddled to the turnaround in 30:47.

There was another magnificent sunset, helped by a few clouds on the horizon over downtown, as I started back. I made good time until I passed the culverts again and headed back into the rising tide. Over the last 0.75 mi., I was back down to 5.3 mph again, but still able to finish in a total of 48:36, which was quite satisfying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home