Kayak Canoe Alabama

Monday, January 02, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 I

Monday, January 2, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

After last night's excitement in the fog, I wanted to get on and off the bay early to avoid more of the same today. At 7:20 AM, the temperature was a warm 70 degrees, with a 10-15 knot southwesterly wind under mostly cloudy skies. The water level was medium and dropping when I started out. Not only did I have the falling tide, but the wind was at my back, so I got right out in the middle of Pass Picada and kicked into high gear from the gitgo. A majestic snowy egret decided to move from one bank to the other, crossing right in front of me, while I picked up speed. My first split at the Apalachee was probably close to a PR, with the favorable conditions, as I clicked on 6:04 at 7.7 mph. Of course, the return was miserable at 9:32 and 4.9 mph.

While I passed the parking lot, it started to rain a little, but I had no plans to give in and stop. The rain quit, but the wind stayed steady and continued to harass me the rest of the way to the Tensaw River turnaround. To make matters worse, when I got between the Interstate bridges, where the falling tide was moving forward, the opposite wind kicked up a good chop, so I wasn't very efficient, only able to get up to 6.3 mph. The return was equally tough, where I was able to only make about a 5.6 mph headway. Once I got back to the Causeway, where the tide shifts directions, I was back to having the wind and tide to my back, so I could cruise back home at over 7 mph.

The final time of 1:01:00 (5.9 mph) was a little disappointing, but considering the conditions, I was reasonably satisfied with it. I am just glad to be able to get out on the water and enjoy the balmy weather during the end of this four-day New Years weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home