Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 XXVIII

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Wow, another beautiful spring day on Mobile Bay! I was anxious to get out on the bay again under better conditions, to verify if I am still on track after a week away from paddling. I went out at 6:00 PM, under sunny skies, 75 degrees with a southerly 10 knot breeze. The water level was up fairly full and falling, so my first leg east was fast. When I arrived at Riverdocs, there was guy sitting in the back of his pickup truck, pickin' his guitar, inspired while looking north out over Chacaloochee Bay.

With a later CDT start, the restaurants were full and Bluegill's had a live band rockin' out on the deck. I tucked in along the south shore, right below the restaurants, to paddle the calmest water, reaching the Apalachee turn in 6:47. The return west was slow with mile splits of 10:42 and 10:43, before the tide directional change gave me a push in the third mile with a 8:56 split to the Tensaw River.

The return started very slowly with a 11:00 into the current, until after the tide change, when I paddled a 9:06 and finished in 59:04 at 6.1 mph. An hour later and the guitar picker was still busy plucking away, while the shore birds started to head north to their roosts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home