Kayak Canoe Alabama

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 XV

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Today was perfect weather for Mardi Gras and paddling. Due to working later than I wanted, I made it to Riverdocs to put-in at 5:20 PM, with the sun dropping fast over downtown. It was still 62 degrees, clear with a south breeze, medium water level and slowly rising tide. I started out fast, anticipating a sunset coming soon. The restaurants were crowded with Mardi Gras revelers, as I paddled on down to the Apalachee. I made the turn in 7:50 and back in 7:00 with little chop to worry about.

There wasn't any turbulence by the culverts, so I made good time all the way through the bridges to the Tensaw, just as the sun was going down. My splits were 9:04, 9:53 and 9:07. I didn't want to hang around long, so I quickly turned and started back, with splits of 10:20, 9:44 and a total time of 58:03 for a 6.2 mph average speed. After the rough time on Saturday, I was glad to get back on some faster water again and hit a good finish time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home