Kayak Canoe Alabama

Friday, March 03, 2006

Apalachee River to Tensaw River 2006 XVI

Thursday, March 2, 2006 brint.adams@us.army.mil

Great weather, conditions and competition allowed for another PR! Roland and I met at 5:00 PM under mostly clear skies, 69 degrees with a southerly breeze, full pool and slightly falling tide. Roland got right with it from the start and took off ahead of me. I tried to maintain contact as we reached the Apalachee turn in 7:04 and back in 7:45.

On the way we passed a Sheriff's boat and saw several helicopters circling around the area. They were in their second day of searching for three missing fishermen and their boat. On the way back west, Roland took off ahead again, and this time continued to lengthen the gap. The higher water made it easier avoiding the muddy shallows areas and keep our pace up. The mile splits were 9:53, 9:50 and 8:54.

Since Roland was ahead, he wasn't quite sure where the turnaround was and went about 100 M too far. So, when I arrived, I turned, took a quick drink, and this time, I took off a little ahead. On the way back, I hit splits of 10:19, 9:30 and while watching for Roland and maintaining the same lead, finished in 57:29 at 6.3 mph, for a new course PR.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger bonnie said…

    oh dear...did they ever find the fishermen? how cold is your water?

    reminds me, I should do my dress-for-the-water-not-the-air thing.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, Blogger brint said…

    So far, I understand two of the missing fishermen recently floated to the surface and were recovered. The third man and the boat have not been recovered as of yet.
    Our water temperature is actually pretty warm now. We really do not have to worry too much about very cold water, like you do, where wet or dry suits are a necessity during winter.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home